Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sea legs.

I guess when we make a sea change we have to find our sea legs. I am really wobbling through this deja vu experience called homeschooling. Yes I did it 10 yrs ago but with only 3 kids and two toddlers playing around. This time there are 5 kids (those two toddlers are now in grade 8 and grade 6) to teach and a toddler and a newborn. I decided to buy an easel to keep the SK and preschooler occupied while I teach the others. Otherwise I've been teaching the SK one how to write letters and her name by writing with markers on a wipe off book I got from Avon. I highly recommend it. It also comes with books for numbers, colours and shapes and cd with songs about these topics. Haven't played it yet and wonder what sorts of instruments might be used. As for the bigger kids its been tough as I realize I have missing parts of the curriculum and have had to order all sorts of books from the library but they are not textbooks or workbooks but more like the types of books you borrow to do a project. So I am not really satisfied with this cookie cutter option. Also I must hunt down a microscope for grade 8 science. He has to learn about cells. I checked Walmart's kids section but nothing there. I intend to check The Source. On top of all this I have the added problem of having no answer keys for the textbooks and workbooks I have. I guess I could order them but that would cost a pretty penny. The sea is very rough now but I hope I can get over this patch and experience some smooth sailing. Any advice from homeschoolers out there? I'm all ears. Oh and if you are wondering what happened to all my old homeschooling stuff, well most of it I sold and the rest is stuck in Malaysia.

6 comments:

  1. Assalamu Alaikum,

    May Allah make it easy for you and provide you from places you least expect, Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalaamu alaikum,
    Boy and I thought my sea was rough! Try Freecycle for your area. You can post for things wanted. I have received things for homeschooling, books, furniture, etc...
    Love, Aischa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wa Alaikum Salaam

    I did try freecycle and I got no response. When I asked for a blackboard someone told me to use blackboard paint which I already knew about but don't want that on my walls especially when you have to sell the house. I asked for books too and no response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://amuslimchildisborn.blogspot.com/2009/10/kindergarten-islamic-studies-curriculum.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalaamu aleikum
    WTG on the homeschooling. May Allah bless your efforts.
    Maybe you could get a sheet of board or wood and paint it with the blackboard paint, and use it on the easel? It would be less permanent than putting it on the walls.
    I wanted to homeschool at one time, but never went ahead with it (long story). I have friend who did it. One was more of an unschooler and another followed the Ontario curriculum, registered her children for distance learning. I'll ask them to stop by your blog and chip in with any words of wisdom they have to share...
    Salaams
    Huda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wa Alaikum Salaam

    The easel has two sides..one is white board and the other is a blackboard.

    Sure send them on over.

    ReplyDelete