Monday, October 19, 2009

Six degrees of separation?

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that in Canada every muslim is connected in some way to every other muslim? I guess its because there are so few of us but it seems like instead of 6 degrees its more like 2 or 3. I cannot believe how many of my friends have mutual friends even though we don't live anywhere near each other. This happens so often I just feel like bursting out laughing. I guess when the muslim community grows much larger, people will never feel this connected again. We are living in a unique period in history, in the growth of ummah here in North America. Generations from now they will never know the sweetness of this type of real social networking. And then of course there is the whole idea of being conscripted soldiers (kindred spirits) as per the hadith. Quadr Allah. Subhanallah.

3 comments:

  1. Salaam,
    I agree with you, that's how we met right? lol
    I also think that having to call one another brother and sister forces us to really feel that we're all family. Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa Alaikum Salaam

    Yes it is! This weekend it happened to me twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really fun to see who knows who. One time a friend organized a potluck and one of the sisters there was surprised to see someone she knew in one circle of friends witht his other circle of friends, she actually expressed it in terms of "not knowing you ran with this circle" or words to that effect. With the internet it's easier to keep in touch with people in farflung places and take the networking further afield. This is a good thing :-)
    Huda

    ReplyDelete