Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Nature Principal

Ever notice how some things keep popping up in your life? First I read this excellent post about Richard Louv's other book Last Child in the Woods on this blog and then in the mail I got my issue of Paradise Found from the Royal Botanical Gardens here in Ontario, Canada which mentions his second book The Nature Principal. The author is also going to be making an appearance at RBG this month. I've yet to read either of these books but you'd be preaching to the choir anyway. The sad thing in southern Ontario is that so much of the forests have been chopped down for farming and cities that it is a little depressing no make that a lot depressing and its hard to connect with nature. Northern Ontario where I grew up is awesome though. I try to get my kids into nature but its not enough by any stretch and in no way compares with my upbringing. I believe its a need for humans to commune with nature and get closer to our creator and we do a disservice to ourselves by shaving the trees off our landscapes and continuously building without any thought to this or to the future of our children and grandchildren.

4 comments:

  1. I love Ontario. Especially in the fall, the picturesque trees and leaves make me fall in love with it.
    Nice to discover your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masha Allah glad you discovered it. Are you in Ontario too or another province..your profile says you are Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if we had the junior ranger program like they have in the US where the kids can earn badges but I only found this:

    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/voyage-travel/xplorateurs-xplorers.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For new citizens (for their first year) you can use this pass, check it out.

    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/voyage-travel/cultur.aspx

    ReplyDelete