Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I'm reading ...

I've been catching up on a lot of books I borrowed from the library and am still doing so and there are still books to get to from my own book club here. I've finished reading In the Land of Invisible Women which I was surprised that my library even had so I grabbed it. Out of so many accounts of going to hajj (that is just part of the book) this is the one that inspires me the most to go.  I like how she compliments Malaysian women so often in the book too. This is a pretty long book but will give you lots to think about.


Right now I am reading The Happiness Project. So far its kind of boring but I will continue. I also have to finish This Book is Overdue (yes I see the irony). Then there is Shanghai Girls written by Lisa See who also wrote another book I just read called Snowflower and the Secret Fan which is also a movie out on dvd now. This author is part Chinese and did so much research for this book in China and she is a captivating storyteller as well.After these I intend to read The Virgin Cure by Amy Mckay since I loved her last novel so much; The Birth House.

What have you been reading lately?

8 comments:

  1. Some of the books look quite interesting, thanks for sharing them....I love to read about new books ideas.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome. Hope you pick some of them up and enjoy them too. May you have a lovely day as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, I wish there was some easier way to get those books here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm wondering where you are...I know I have readers from all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As-salaam 'alaykum,

    My non-muslim father gave me this book In the land of the invisible women but frankly I did not like it. I just read a few chapters but it was so against everything islamic and also against Saudi-Arabia I just could not go on. I would rather suggest for all sisters to read From my sisters lips which is a very nice book written by a convert. It is well written and it reminds you of the beauty of Islam. It describes the stories of many sisters, how they came to Islam and how they lead their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wa alaikum Salaam

    When I first started reading it I was expecting to hate it as the author is not so practicing but I continued and I think she made a lot of good points and showed Saudi the way it really is. I have heard from so many people who have lived and worked in Saudi and gone for hajj and they have all had the same complaints. Saudi Arabia is not the way it was 1400 yrs ago. I think its important for people to point out things so that changes can be made. At least now women there will be able to vote..a right they have always had under Islam but which was taken away by the royal family there not to mention women not be able to drive which has no islamic basis and is hypocritical with their male chauffeur program which basically is khalwat. I've also read from My Sisters Lips and it was so positive I found it shocking since most converts go through so much suffering when they convert. I did mention it to the author when I used to be on facebook and now happily she has started a program in UK for suffering converts called Solace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete