Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life Is An Open Secret

I've often wondered if women are allowed to write khutbahs (sermons) since they are not allowed to be imams. But is there any rule about them writing one? I've never heard anything about a ruling on this. Sometimes listening to them at Jumuah (friday congregational prayers) I almost fall asleep and wonder how the men can listen to these uninspiring talks each week. Not that I can blame the men who are giving the speeches as they are all volunteers and not qualified imams. Perhaps at other mosques with real imams the khutbahs are more interesting and not so vague and wishy-washy. I remember how the sermons were at church and how you would feel invigorated to do something specific before the next Sunday. I would love to write one and have an imam deliver it and of course I would include all the necessary ayat and hadith references. Then I'd like to see if it made any long lasting impressions and any behavioural changes on the congregation. But in the meantime if you want to be inspired then I suggest reading Life Is An Open Secret by Zabrina A. Bakar. She has three books in this series including; Think About It, You, Me and We and Ramadan. I have read the first two and I found the second one to be even more amazing then the first. Zabrina grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go and you find yourself jumping out of your seat to take her advice which is all based on Islam(ayats and hadith are listed) but is told by various true stories and fictional stories that contain morals. If you want to be inspired to be a better muslim and the khutbahs at your mosque have left you yawning I would suggest you pick up this book pronto and even if your imam is a great speaker still pick this up as an addition to be even more motivated. After you read it tell me how you've been inspired and what changes you've made in your life.Life is an Open Secret

4 comments:

  1. can u post a book to me. we can discuss further using my e-mail salwani@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sell them in Malaysia..the writer is Malaysian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaam alaikum,
    Thank you for the book references. I have a growing interest in Muslim literature. At Stanford University, they hold a fairly large jumuah each Friday. They invite women to write the Khutbah and the khateeb will read it. It is a nice way of getting women's voices out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa Alaikum salaam

    You're welcome. That is amazing about the women writing. What is the response?

    ReplyDelete