Thursday, December 31, 2009

Zeitoun -December Book Club -review

This is the last day of December so I hope you have all finished this month's pick - Zeitoun. First of all I have to say that this was an awesome book; a real page turner. Although this book was written by a non-muslim (I'm assuming) about Zeitoun and his family and experience he was very respectful and precise about Islam. I really related to Kathy, his wife, who is a convert like me. I loved how they told her story as well as his including their families'. Although I felt very sorry for the main character and his family too, I felt that this book only further emphasizes how important shura (consultation) and the use of Istikhara in making a decision that can affect so many lives. But khair insha Allah because as you can see with the list on the back of the book there are so many organizations that are benefitting from the sale of this book to help rebuild New Orleans.

4 comments:

  1. Let's see, my memory fades so quickly. It took a few chapters to get used to the writing style, maybe because it was written from a third person perspective(?). I really ended up loving this book. I loved all the family details, both wife and children, and his brothers and sisters overseas. I loved the description of the clean water coming into his house and reminding him of the sea back home. I think I can say "I loved.." over and over. I really enjoyed the description of the flood and him exploring. Since childhood, I have always had this (misguided) desire to see my neighbor hood flood, and see how neat it would be to paddle around--so through him, this was fulfillment. I appreciate the initial tranquility and beauty of the flood and I accept the transition to a dirty, funky, unsafe, reality. The last half really killed me. It was heartbreaking. Heartbreaking to know how people where left there, and the military attitude of the people supposedly there to help. Imagine the situation if there was trust, and more people like Zeitoun quietly floating around helping each other. His point about noisey boats, and not being able to hear those crying for help, really made sense. Oh, I already distrust the gov't to do right, so this last part did not make me feel "good". I felt panic and claustrophobic reading about him in the cages and then being whisked away to another prison. I felt so angry for him and his wife, not at them, but angry because of the lack of respect, rights, basic dignities, even the "one phonecall" that wasn't given to him. Angry! Shame on FEMA and Homeland security.Anyway, before my blood boils... moving on....
    David Eggers did a good job in honestly and respectfully, portraying the Islamic aspect to the story. If I were non-muslim I think I would have learned a lot, and come away with a better and softer opinion of Islam. It is also good for people to read about a regular Muslim family, though the circumstances were not ideal. I loved their relationship too.
    Lastly, mashallah, for Zeitoun, a strong man, who stuck to his ideals. Mashallah for strong men who go out of their way to help and share their resources, who are humble and gracious and thankful to Allah. Loved him. May Allah bless him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comments.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I missed this! Every few months I put together an Amazon order since the local selection is not too great. Your review of Butterfly Mosque encouraged me to put that on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad my reviews are encouraging others to read my picks. If you are going to order from Amazon please order from my site as it helps me out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete