Monday, November 29, 2010

Interfaith Gone Too Far?

This weekend I went to two different Eid potlucks. The first one was mainly geared towards dawah to the Christian invitees. I think dawah is great but filling up the whole night with it with no time for the muslims to converse with each other or the Christians seems counter-productive. On top of that I was shocked to hear the speakers' idea for interfaith activities. He suggested that muslims should do jumah prayer in the church and the Christians should come to the mosque and do their service there. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. First of all as a former Christian, I just know that they are thinking that that would be an encroachment on their territory (this is going even beyond Little Mosque on the Prairie). As for Christians doing their service in the mosque, can you imagine shirk being preached in a mosque which is the only sin that Allah will never forgive? I think there is a point where you cross the line.  What say you?  The second potluck had absolutely no dawah as that mosque is very allergic to it and to prove it I got to sit all by myself at a table just for me and my kids. Ahh, the joys of being a convert.

2 comments:

  1. Are you serious?? What the heck is going on here??
    I don't really agree with the whole interfaith dialogue to begin with, it usually ends up with Muslims sucking up to the Christians. You should have told us out here about the Eid dinner and we could have come to sit with you :) Next time inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalaamu Alaikum Muneera,

    Oh yes the sucking up drives me nuts..the handshaking with the women, the hiding of facts like Abraham was going to sacrifice his son but they don't mention that muslims believe it was Ismail and not Isaac. They leave that part out so that everybody can feel like they are on the same page.

    Thanks for the offer.I know you mean it because you have done it before. Yes, next time insha Allah.

    ReplyDelete