Thursday, November 25, 2010

Time Management and Motivation

If you want something done ask a busy person they say. Are you that busy person that everyone can turn to? I'm supposed to be busy but I'm not really doing all the things I should be doing with ihsan. I'm just coasting and sometimes feeling guilty and sometimes not. I started looking up islamic information regarding these topics and I'll put the links at the bottom. But something weird was listed as a time waster in the one of them; unexpected visitors dropping by. See for me that would not be a waste of time. Who knows if that visitor wasn't coming to help you or advise you with some islamic wisdom or to offer something for your family. We all have things that motivate us and for me its socialization. I think it is for a lot of people. I could be a better homeschooler if I had someone to do it with and not just virtual people. I could learn quran better if I had a daily real life teacher. And sadly I could be a better housewife if I knew that someone would drop by a few times a week instead of a few times a year. What a bad muslim eh? I'm supposed to be motivated for the sake of Allah and maybe even for the sake of my family but this is how I am. Am I the only one like this? I do motivate myself for those other reasons but years and years of this is wearing thin. Will a day planner help me? Will another calendar help me? Will joining another online group help me? Will reading another homeschool blog help me? I don't think so. I want to be that supercool energizer bunny type of muslimah who does it all even though she is alone but I can't. I want help and I want a friend and there's no sin in that. Hope I haven't busted anyone's bubble, but this is the real me.

Links:

Time Management in Islamic Perspective

The Islamic New Year 

9 Steps to Achieve Your Destiny-Video of Author  (I think she looks like Hethr,lol)

Buy the 9 Steps book here 

Take the Motivation Test to see what drives you  (turns out I'm a PSI.) so I'm not a collaberator according to this whose main focus is relationships so I guess I just want to be around people so I can boss them around...hmmm...I guess that's kind of true but sounds really evil, lol. I just put my name on the list for this book at the library.

5 comments:

  1. Assalamu Alaikum,
    Great post because it brings forth some interesting thoughts. I'm like you, would love more regular sisterly visits...compared to none! I think I spend far too much time cleaning and not enough reading etc. I too sometimes feel as if I'm just coasting along at times, maybe that is a side effect of being a mother.? Not sure. Anyhow, just wanted you to know that I'm out here, reading regularly :)
    Take care and keep on posting,
    Elysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa Alaikum Salaam

    Whew! There is life out in blog land. Was beginning to question its existence. I guess it depends what kind of coasting..if you are in a groove and getting things done then that's great but if things are piling up and you're moping around then not so good. I guess cleaning is how you deal with things which is great for everyone but maybe not so much for you if you could be benefitting from some knowledge. In my case maybe too much knowledge which isn't put into practice is not a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading the Get Motivated book now that is the test comes from. Let's see if I'll get motivated. Still searching for minions though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about half way through this book and its so on the money, describes me to a T. Still waiting to be motivated though although I did cave and buy an organizer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've finished this book. In the last chapter they have some interesting advice for the 5 priority areas of your life; career,finances,sense of spiritual fulfillment or purpose,relationships and health. For relationships number 23 says; Don't Complain- Winner are not whiners. We know this islamically right but its a good reminder.
    #25 says Recall people's names and details about their lives. I have a very hard time remembering people's names and you can forget their kids'names. She tells you to repeat their names over and over while talking to them and that you should make notes shortly after you meet them about their hobbies,what is going on in their lives,their spouse's and children's names and so on. Then put it in your contacts list or address book. Then the next time you see them ask about their family members by name and inquire about their lives from the details your written down. I think this is amazing advice. I can 't count the number of times I've given my phone number to someone only to hear that they 'lost' it. To me that says everything. Then there are the people who remember my name and my kids' names. I am always impressed by them. I fall in the middle. I don't lose people's numbers but I do forget names and details.

    This book also has a place to record your top 10 goals and how you will achieve them based on your motivational type. So I know that I have to achieve my 10 goals by being my bossy self who follows rules and does it for the sake of Allah. I guess I kind of knew this but its funny to find a book which points it out. Now to sit and write down my goals.Anyone else read this book or been to a seminar? The author used to be a drug addict so its quite amazing what she's done with her life!

    ReplyDelete