Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homeschooling.. a bit of this, a bit of that

As you know I don't really like to homeschool but using different materials keep its interesting for both of us. I like to use this book; Why? Where do Shadows Come From? to teach science facts at her grade 1 level. We used the old baloons from Eid to demonstrate static electricity. Also I read her the book Zaynab and Zakariya Learn to Recyle. One thing I didn't like about the book was that the husband wasn't involved in the recycling at all which I didn't think was a  very  good role model for kids. Men are viceregents too! Dd4 asked how can people know which recycled object is theirs to get it back. I thought that was a pretty good question and told her that anyone could end up with what you had recycled including you. You don't necessarily get to have it back unless of course you are making bags out of t-shirts or something along those lines.  Today its another snow day for the kids so I got ds2 to read her My First Quran  and he chose Prophet Shuaib and the Earthquake.

2 comments:

  1. As salaam alaikum,

    I like variety too in homeschooling, but I have found that sometimes the children actually have a longer attention span for a resource or a topic than I do, maashaa Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa Alaikum Salaam

    And I guess that's why they invented unschooling lol. My son for example has never lost interest in orangutans ever since I first read everyone a book about it while we were travelling. He went on to read more books, do a project and visit them in Malaysia and even to stop eating food with palm oil. And it all started with one little book! I find though with my daughter only being in grade 1 she loses interest in things faster and needs more variety.

    ReplyDelete