Friday, January 7, 2011

Healing Body and Soul -Review

Healing Body and Soul-Your Guide to Holistic Wellbeing Following Islamic Teachings by Amira Ayad was December's book club pick. Ironically I have been unwell during this time so I have been trying to apply what I've learned to my situation. This book is a combination of Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet (which I own and love), Don't be Sad (ditto)and  Enjoy Your life (ditto ). Of all the books I've read this past year this is the one that I would most highly recommend. This book should be sitting on everyone's shelf to be referred to over and over again. It would also make a great gift for anyone.Although its a great reference book it doesn't read like some dry,dusty medical book, its a joy to read. I learned interesting things like white bread can cause depression since all the good has been taken out therefore you should be only eating whole grain breads. I already eat whole wheat bread but now I've added oat and rye bread.  I haven't seen barley yet.  I will leave you with some gems from the book.

From the chapter : Intellectual Body page 251

An excellent way to reduce stress is to keep in mind that everything you own is a gift from Allah, so that you do not grieve over what you lose nor no you delight in what you earn. Allah says in His Holy Book: (arabic quranic ayat-can't duplicate) "No calamity befalls on the earth or in yourselves but is inscribed in the Book of Decrees before We bring it into existence. Verily, that is easy for Allah. In order that you may not be sad over that which has been given to you. And Allah doesn not like prideful boasters."

In the chapter : Spiritual Body page 398

(here they are talking about all types of Islamic worship)

These practices are the restorative of one's exhausted soul; they are the curative prescription for modern society's ailments like misery,depression,stress and loneliness; they are our bridge to Allah.

.................................................

May Allah cure us all of all our varied illnesses whether they be in mind, body or spirit or a combination thereof. Amin.

1 comment:

  1. Ameen :) I can't wait to read that book inshaAllah. May Allah return your health Ameen. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete