Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kindle in Canada

Apparently Kindle is finally available in Canada; I assumed it was already here. Don't know what a Kindle is? Check it out here. I'm not sure if I want one. I usually just get my books for free at the library. I'm willing to pay for islamic books that I can't find in the library or that I want as a reference but I can also lend those out to family members. Kindle doesn't allow lending to another Kindle. Also how much Islamic material is even available to be downloaded? And finally there seems to be no colour so goodbye to coffee table books, magazines and newspapers that are finally in colour. What's your take? Do you have one? Would you get one?

Update: Barnes and Noble is selling an ebook reader now and it has colour and touchscreen features. It called a Nook and you will be able to download books from B&N. Cost is competitive at $259.

2 comments:

  1. You know I have been charmed by the idea of kindle. I can't justify it though. I love the library, and I am a stay at home mom--meaning no daily commute to read during. I can see it being great for my single years spent on the public transit. And, I have told my husband that I have to have one before I move to Morocco, if we ever do, inshallah. This would be the best situation for a kindle. I would miss access to libraries there. I would prefer to preview a book on it, like a test drive... As much as I am on the web, I hate doing lengthy reading on it, so I want to make sure I can focus on it as well as a live book.
    Nothing beats a real book in your hands, which you can also smell...
    I would just invest in regular, printed, Islamic books, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking one overseas..what a good idea and on public transit..so much better than listening to a walkman (whooops I guess its ipod now). I guess I will just stick to real books for now unless they have some good reasons for me to justify switching.

    ReplyDelete