Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ramadan Day 24

Yesterday was a lot cooler than usual and I was wondering if that might mean laylat-al-qadr had already come and went. Dh thought maybe it was actually the day before. Allahu alim. According to the mosque potluck list we were supposed to make salad so I decided to be a little unique and make Ambrosia Fruit Salad. (I added pecans). I made one for the women's side and the men's side. It tasted heavenly! I think I should definately make this for eid insha Allah. This is a dish I remember eating at church potlucks. One woman asked me if the marshmallows were halal and I said yes and she said" its the woman beside me who wants to know and I told her if it was C who made it then of course they were halal." Ahh...someone at least has faith in me :) My daughter-in-law was there and helped me out as usual and dd2 and dd3. My friend didn't bring back my plate though and here's the story. She said she used it to make something for her friend and when she asked for it back the friend said just wait I want to return it to you full. Then my friend said no just give it back to me because its not mine! I told her not to worry and told her the story of my nieghbour's plate. So now I know that arabs (or at least some of them) do believe in returning the plate full. Last night was special because the guy we found on facebook who was interested in Islam and that we gave books and pamphlets to expressed an interest in going to the mosque so ds1 brought him and his little son. Apparently he was afraid to do the wrong thing and kept asking questions about what it was ok to do in the mosque and if my son was in trouble. I found it funny that people would think that the mosque is such an uptight place. I'm so happy they came and I hoped it will bring him an understanding of muslims and maybe even bring him to Islam by Allah's leave. I remembered this time to bring my donation for the food bank after writing it down in big letters on the calendar. We came home and it was too late to read Quran to the kids and I also didn't wake up for tahajud. I guess there is only so much a person can  do. May Allah accept our deeds and grant us forgiveness and Jannah. Amin.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...the sky here was so clear and blue on the morning of the 24th. Allah knows best when is Laytul Qadr.

    Have you had a chance to check out the reading lists I've been posting on my blog lately? The last one up has some nice Eid stories. I'm pretty sure your children will probably have read some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I've seen the list and I'm familiar with all those Eid stories except Samira's Eid I've never seen before. Have you ever seen any Eid stories feauturing converts? I find it hard to relate to a lot of the stuff in these books ie the cultural stuff and way their eid is celebrated with so many people as they have muslim extended family members and so many muslim friends. These stories are not typical for converts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaams

    I'm happy to hear that you're familiar with the books I've been posting in my reading lists. However, in answer to your question, I am sorry to say that I've never come across any stories that depict converts celebrating Eid. I'll keep a look out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa Alaikum salaam

    Maybe I should write one. We are so underrepresented.

    ReplyDelete